Our vision is to be a responsive leader committed to promoting social development in Waterloo Region where all people actively participate in finding solutions to improve quality of life.
Our Mission is to advance social justice through community knowledge.
Read more about our recent projects and activities in the 2013 Annual Report.
- Increase citizen participation in social, economic and political life of the community.
- Build social cohesion through relationships, collaboration and community action.
- Increase understanding of social resources, assets, issues, needs and context of the local community by those who need this knowledge to take action.
- Develop the social infrastructure of the community – people, organizations, services, policy.
- Reduce inequitable access to knowledge resources particularly those resulting from emerging technologies.
- We gather and manage comprehensive data on community needs and human services in Waterloo Region.
- We prepare and distribute information in meaningful and accessible ways.
- We collaborate with others in developing a community which offers a desirable quality of life for all its citizens.
Social Justice We are committed to equal treatment and fair access for all members of the community.
Participatory Democracy We value democracy practiced daily and encourage everyone to participate in decisions or on issues that affect people.
Community Knowledge We believe local community based knowledge is a public good and is essential to help all stakeholders understand the community and its people, assets, resources and needs.
Diversity We recognize, highly value and seek out the multi-dimensional character of community members which includes a rich variety of backgrounds, abilities and experiences.
Relationship Building (Social Capital) We are committed to building positive relationships in all areas of community and in our face to face contacts, organizational connections and community action.
Our Operating Principles
Community We focus on geographic community where we find issues and seek solutions. We acknowledge and work with communities of interest as ways people come together to improve quality of life.
Accountability We are accountable to the community and seek direction from those who use our services and from our membership. Our governing board is elected annually by community members.
Independence Being community-driven and accountable, we have greater freedom than public sector organizations or direct service providers, to critique existing policies and systems or to propose alternatives.
Knowledge-based Action We link independent research and lived community experience to the development of action proposals and solutions to identified problems that eliminate inequity and injustice.
Inclusion We aim to engage everyone, especially those who voices are not typically heard. When we do engage we will be mindful of how we do this to be as inclusive as possible.
Collaboration We work in partnership and collaboration with others to share resources, expertise and/or experience.
Effectiveness and Efficiency We aim to provide effective services based on efficient operations and innovative use of technology that builds on our long tradition of knowledge management and community engagement skills.
- Social Planning Network of Ontario
- Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition
- Imagine Canada
- Ontario Nonprofit Network
|SPCKW 2013 Annual Report Final.pdf||1.48 MB|